- 2016 & 2017 TOP SALES TEAM BY VOLUME
- 2016 & 2017 PLATINUM AWARD
“We originally had our apartment listed as a For Sale by Owner (FSBO), as
we did not fully appreciate the value that a broker brought to the table
given the world of technology, i.e. StreetEasy and the full transparency of
historical sales pricing. That being said after a little time on the market
with little traction and interviewing countless “top brokers,” we finally
chose to hire Rich Babeck, and we are glad we did. Rich exceeded our
expectations in every way. From his out of the box thinking around
presenting the apartment, to his willingness to have multiple in-depth
discussions around pricing strategy and bringing in a social media
influencer to stream live from the apartment, he truly set himself apart
from other brokers and got the job done above ask! All in all, we highly
recommend the Focus team.
*Kraig T. - Former For Sale By Owner *
What’s your full Name?
Richard M. Babeck
Where did you grow up?
I grew up in Forest Hills, NY and moved to Long Island after I graduated High School with my family. I spent several years living in Manhattan (FiDi and UES). I truly am a product of my environment and love the fact that I had an urban and suburban upbringing.
Tell us a little about your family…
My parents immigrated to the US from Russia in the late 70’s and landed in Boston, MA (fun fact, I was actually born there, not NY). My family currently resides on Long Island and now that they are empty nesters spend much of the year traveling the globe and living their best life.
How did you get into real estate brokerage?
I was actually on the legal side of the business for 4+ years before transitioning into brokerage full time. My unique skill set of critical and analytical thinking coupled with my passion for sales and negotiating made the transition into brokerage/sales a natural fit. Though I no longer act in a legal capacity for my real estate clients, they do get the benefit of my understanding of the process of buying/selling property from both sides of the closing table.
Do you specialize in a particular area of real estate sales?
My specialty is working with expired listings, estate sales. I chose to work in these two specific areas of practice because I recognized that was an opportunity to step in and offer true value in the transaction.. There is a story behind why an apartment went on the market for sale and didn’t sell. I go into every meeting with a “I really want to know why…..” mindset and simply come from contribution. My ability to ask powerful questions and really dig deep to seek the motivation is why my clients and I can get on the same page, regroup, reposition and re introduce their home to the market in such a way that will cause it to sell this time. I have since found that working with expireds is similar to working with estate sales. These apartments have a history to them. Someone typically lived in the apartment for a long time. They are usually not in the best shape and we have to find a way to reposition them to sell for the maximum price. The process is very similar.
Why did you choose Compass?
Compass by and large offers expired sellers and estates the most value and so it only made sense that I work here to offer my clients the best possible experience. A few of the resources Compass has that no other company has:
- Compass Concierge - Compass is the only brokerage in the world that will invest up to 3% of the sales price ($30,000 on a million dollar apartment) prior to selling the apartment to make the apartment more cosmetically appealing. These funds can go towards, painting, staging or renovating. They do this without asking the client for any interest or return on investment. This could result in 10’s of thousands of dollars in extra proceeds for the seller. The funds invested into the sale are repaid at the closing.
- Proprietary Technology - Compass can tell me in a click of a button all of the agents that have sold a home similar to the one I am selling, that have one listed or one in contract in the last 30, 60, 90 or 180 days. No other company offers this and it’s important because brokers have the largest pool of qualified buyers for my sellers. In manhattan 99% of apartments sell with a broker. With this tool I can contact the 100 people that will likely have a buyer for my seller on day one of listing the apartment.
- Other - I can go on about all the other features compass has but in short they offer me all the latest technologies and tools to make the sale as successful as possible.