Product & User Experience
New York City
Senior Data Engineer
At Compass, we envision a world where the experience of selling or buying a home is simple and pleasant for everyone. Founded in 2012, Compass provides an end-to-end platform that empowers residential real estate agents to deliver exceptional service to their seller and buyer clients, all in service of our mission to help everyone find their place in the world.
As a Senior Data Engineer, you will work with a group of engineers, product managers, analysts and data scientists to build the Compass data platform. Our team’s mission is to envision, build and deploy the next generation end-to-end platform for data ingestion, processing, storage, and analysis at scale. Every team at Compass—product, engineering, finance, operations, people and culture and leadership rely on our platform to make data-informed decisions as well as power the business with data.
About This Role
In this role, you will help Compass become the leading source of real estate information by expanding our geographic coverage, introducing new data types and sources, and ensuring the highest data quality standards are met. You will work cross-functionally with company leadership, product managers, engineers, support teams, and other analysts to grow and maintain the Compass data platform.
- Partner with Engineering, Product and/or the Business to understand data needs and drive innovative solutions
- Design, build and launch core data models into production
- Define and manage SLA for datasets in areas of ownership
- Advocate for process improvements to drive our data platform forward with a metrics-driven, continuous improvement approach
What We Look For
- 5+ years experience in fields such as data engineering, business intelligence, or analytics
- 5+ years experience writing SQL
- 5+ years experience in the data modeling/ETL/schema design
- 5+ years working with Spark or an MPP system
- 5+ years of experience with an object-oriented programming languages (e.g Python) is a plus
- Experience with business intelligence tools such as Looker or Tableau is a plus
- Experience working with databricks is a plus
- Knowledge of, or prior experience with, real estate data integrations is a plus
At Compass, we believe that everyone deserves to find their place in the world — a place where they feel like they belong, where they can be their authentic selves, where they can thrive. Our collaborative, energetic culture is grounded in our Compass Entrepreneurship Principles and our commitment to diversity, equity, inclusion, growth and mobility. As an equal opportunity employer, we offer competitive compensation packages, robust benefits and professional growth opportunities aimed at helping to improve our employees' lives and careers.